It is currently Wed 19 Dec 2018 8:41 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep 2014 3:40 pm 

I see online that there is a 2012 edition of Learning Irish, does anyone know what's on the DVD? The version I have has CD's.

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep 2014 4:10 pm 

An Lon Dubh wrote:
Learning Irish is in Cois Fharraige Irish, just so that you know, that is a subdialect of Conamara Irish and a little different from the other Conamara dialects. For example oíche is just í in Cois Fharraige and there are some grammar differences.

I can see how this is going to become incredibly complicated. I hope I can remain rational when I'm frustrated by these. A stiff drink and a good night's sleep at those stages is my intended tactic. :guiness:

An Lon Dubh wrote:
If you wanted a nice book to go along with Learning Irish, the following is cheap enough and designed for beginners:
http://www.litriocht.com/shop/product_i ... CA-v_ldXsY
I've just ordered this, thank you. Looking forward to getting it and adding it to my library.

An Lon Dubh wrote:
Just a few things to note, virtually any book written by a native speaker will have words you cannot find in any dictionary, or a spelling variation not found in any dictionary, so they can be quite hard to read when you are starting off. Just to let you know in case you think you are making slow progress if your try to read one.

For example Iomramh Bhréanainn - Ón nDaingean go hÍoslainn, an amazing book, one of the best books I have ever read, has about six books in the first two chapters not in any dictionary and about twenty words that technical are, but you'd need a good grasp of Irish etymology and linguistic history to relate them to their dictionary form.

Again this is just to let you know because reading and not understanding can be demotivating, so it can help to know it is quite hard. It's worth it though to read some of these great books and talk to people in the Gaeltachtaí.

Thank you for your comments, I'm glad you mentioned words not being in a dictionary because I've constantly got my nose in one and yes, I would be frustrated as heck if I couldn't find something in it. It's bad enough trying to find the correct form of a word that actually does exist, sometimes. That's very helpful, and I'll remember it, for sure.

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep 2014 4:29 pm 

maidofkent, were you by any chance looking at Caint Ros Muc? The prices you saw are similar to the ones I saw for this set of books, and as it was mentioned in several previous posts perhaps you searched for that instead of Learning Irish?

While we are on the subject, would it make any sense at all for me to get the text of Caint Ros Muc without the dictionary? I mean, I could listen to the free tapes and get an ear for the native language. I'm only thinking this as the whole thing is so expensive - Litriocht seem to have the cheapest rates.

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep 2014 4:34 pm 

No, it was definitely Learning Irish, on Amazon. There was another copy for £111.00 too.

But I've found it now on The Book Depository - I can't think why I didn't look there before, they seem to sell everything, and I've used them and found them very good - for £25.00.

I think that's the way to go......

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep 2014 5:02 pm 

nuala wrote:
maidofkent, were you by any chance looking at Caint Ros Muc? The prices you saw are similar to the ones I saw for this set of books, and as it was mentioned in several previous posts perhaps you searched for that instead of Learning Irish?

While we are on the subject, would it make any sense at all for me to get the text of Caint Ros Muc without the dictionary? I mean, I could listen to the free tapes and get an ear for the native language. I'm only thinking this as the whole thing is so expensive - Litriocht seem to have the cheapest rates.

The second volume is a dictionary to the first. I'd say you would have to be Upper Intermediate to read it comfortably, but reading it is a good challenge at lower intermediate.

Ar sgáth a chéile a mhairid na daoine, lag agus láidir, uasal is íseal

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep 2014 5:25 pm 

An Teach Glas ? Would this be the one you're talking about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRXov273WIc

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep 2014 6:13 pm 

No, I think it's this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2T6mBVYQ2A

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep 2014 6:13 pm 

No, I think it's this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2T6mBVYQ2A

At least I hope so - I love gardening.

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep 2014 7:10 pm 

Well here's a cupla leabhair that you might like to have, while you're at it -

An tEolaí Óg sa Ghairdín le Lisa Burke 978 1 9069 0753 2 (Aoisghrúpa 7 - 12 bliana)
agus
Gairdín an Nádúir le Martyn Cox 978 1 9069 0712 9 (Aoisghrúpa 8 - 12 bliana)
- both published by Futa Fata.

PostPosted: Mon 22 Sep 2014 7:41 pm 

Well, they're both great little books. I've put them on a wish list to be added to my next order.

:GRMA:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next