It is currently Mon 06 Apr 2020 4:07 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue 04 Oct 2011 1:28 am 

Lughaidh wrote:
They'd better use ...

I think you mean "they should use" or "they ought to use" or "it would be better if they used ...", Lughaidh. "They'd better" generally implies an "or else ..."

Of course, I wouldn't put it past you to give them a real hard time if they didn't comply ... :LOL:

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Tue 04 Oct 2011 2:26 am 

Breandán wrote:
Lughaidh wrote:
They'd better use ...

I think you mean "they should use" or "they ought to use" or "it would be better if they used ...", Lughaidh. "They'd better" generally implies an "or else ..."

Of course, I wouldn't put it past you to give them a real hard time if they didn't comply ... :LOL:

Lughaidh's point is well-taken, though. Considering that we all had to work backwards from what was offered, one would think that a more readily accessible, less ambiguous, word would have been used.

I only clicked it on EasyReader out of curiosity...then, knowing how often EasyReader is wrong, checked in FGB...and was actually surprised to find that it works.

I don't have my copy of An Prionsa Beag anymore. What do we know about the translator? Is there any chance he's a native speaker using a literary term that he thought might work better in context?

As an aside, as a writer and editor, I sincerely pray that I'm not responsible forever for that which I have typed! 8O

Redwolf

PostPosted: Tue 04 Oct 2011 2:58 am 

Yes, I agree that appropriate levels of language should be used.

However, a translation is a translation, not an original work in the target language. If you stay too close to the original you risk the criticism of creating "translationese"; and if you stray too far from the original you may end up destroying its distinctiveness.

Translation is the art of finding a balance between the two extremes.

A non-fiction piece can and probably should be completely rewritten to achieve the objective in the target language, but a literary work is a different animal - often it is the turns of phrase and expressions that make it special in the original - precisely because they are unusual in the source language (let alone in the target language).

The Little Prince may be somewhere in between in that it is more revered for its simplicity and for its philosophy than for its flowery expression (roses aside).

No matter how good a translation, one thing is certain - critics abound. :mrgreen:

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Tue 04 Oct 2011 7:23 am 

AN PRIONSA BEAG arna aistriú go Gaeilge ag Breandán Ó Doibhlin -
Ba maith leis na foilsitheoirí buíochas a ghabháil le Gallimard na Fraince; Marie-Françoise Connolly, Alliance Français, Baile Átha Cliath agus le hOllscoil Mhá Nuad, as a gcuidiú i bhfoilsiú an leabhair seo.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/irish/articles/view/954/english
http://www.bbc.co.uk/irish/video/4/english

Breandán Ó Doiblin (1931- ) novelist, critic and translator. Born in Rooskey, Co. Tyrone, he was educated at Saint Colum's College in Derry and Maynooth before becoming Professor of French and Modern Languages there. He edited Irisleabhar Mhá Nuad and pioneered the application of critical methods to the works of modern writers in Irish. The novel 'Néal Maidine agus Tine Oíche' (1960) deals with cultural values and their transmission in modern society, while 'An Branar Gan Cur' (1979) depicts the attitudes of an alienated northern Catholic. He translated 'Iseáia' (1975), which became part of 'An Bíobla Naofa' (1981).
(Oxford Companion to Irish Literature)

Gaoth an Fhocail
Saol agus Saothar
Iníon Mhaor an Uachta - Dráma
Aistí Critice agus Cultúir II - (books available from Amazon France)

Wikipedia -
Ó Doiblin is a polyglot who is particularly known for his work in French and in Irish. For many years, he was Rector of the Irish College in Paris. He has also published translations from French into Irish by La Fontaine, Pascal and Saint-Exupéry. In 2001 Ó Doibhlin was invested as an Officier de la Légion d'honneur, the highest French award available to a foreign national.

PostPosted: Tue 04 Oct 2011 10:20 am 

franc 91 wrote:
An Bíobla Naofa

Not a translation I'm keen on. :bolt:

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

PostPosted: Tue 04 Oct 2011 10:26 am 

Bríd Mhór wrote:
franc 91 wrote:
An Bíobla Naofa

Not a translation I'm keen on. :bolt:

Yes, it has its problems, too. Proper translation should really only be done by A-language speakers of the target language.

PostPosted: Sat 15 Oct 2011 5:14 pm 

Quote:
Beidh a bhfuil ceansaithe agat faoi do chúram go deo.

I don't think anyone ever voice an opinion on this one.

PostPosted: Tue 20 Dec 2011 10:16 pm 

Bump

PostPosted: Tue 20 Dec 2011 11:00 pm 

DesertKitsune wrote:
Quote:
Beidh a bhfuil ceansaithe agat faoi do chúram go deo.

I don't think anyone ever voice an opinion on this one.

I quite like it.

Always wait for at least three people to agree on a translation, especially if it’s for something permanent.

My translations are usually GU (Ulster Irish), unless CO (Standard Orthography) is requested.