It is currently Wed 07 Oct 2026 6:57 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Tattoo: "family" (CO)
PostPosted: Wed 24 Oct 2012 7:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon 22 Oct 2012 8:58 pm
Posts: 8
I'm getting a new tattoo with the word "family" across my arm in Gaeilge. I have an Irish/English dictionary printed in Ireland, but I want to be like dead accurate of the correct written word for family in Irish. What I have, and there are a few but this is the one I believe to be most accurate, is "teaghlach". "Clann" was another option but I looked at the literal definition and "clann" meant children, offspring, race, descendants, followers, whereas "teaghlach" was defined as family, household. There were a few other options but none seemed to be defined as accurate to family as "teaghlach". What is the opinion in the forum of which is correct? If "teachlach" is correct, how would you pronounce it? Am I right in pronouncing it tay-leck?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 24 Oct 2012 7:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 7:18 pm
Posts: 576
RíoghánCAN wrote:
I'm getting a new tattoo with the word "family" across my arm in Gaeilge. I have an Irish/English dictionary printed in Ireland, but I want to be like dead accurate of the correct written word for family in Irish. What I have, and there are a few but this is the one I believe to be most accurate, is "teaghlach". "Clann" was another option but I looked at the literal definition and "clann" meant children, offspring, race, descendants, followers, whereas "teaghlach" was defined as family, household. There were a few other options but none seemed to be defined as accurate to family as "teaghlach". What is the opinion in the forum of which is correct? If "teachlach" is correct, how would you pronounce it? Am I right in pronouncing it tay-leck?


The definitions you have found are correct. You have two spellings for 'family/household' above: teachlach and teaghlach. teaghlach is the normal standard spelling. So if you mean all the people in the house, both parents and children, then teaghlach is good.

If you have another meaning for 'family' in mind then let us know. For example the extended family including cousins etc.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 24 Oct 2012 7:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon 22 Oct 2012 8:58 pm
Posts: 8
Scooby wrote:
RíoghánCAN wrote:
I'm getting a new tattoo with the word "family" across my arm in Gaeilge. I have an Irish/English dictionary printed in Ireland, but I want to be like dead accurate of the correct written word for family in Irish. What I have, and there are a few but this is the one I believe to be most accurate, is "teaghlach". "Clann" was another option but I looked at the literal definition and "clann" meant children, offspring, race, descendants, followers, whereas "teaghlach" was defined as family, household. There were a few other options but none seemed to be defined as accurate to family as "teaghlach". What is the opinion in the forum of which is correct? If "teachlach" is correct, how would you pronounce it? Am I right in pronouncing it tay-leck?


The definitions you have found are correct. You have two spellings for 'family/household' above: teachlach and teaghlach. teaghlach is the normal standard spelling. So if you mean all the people in the house, both parents and children, then teaghlach is good.

If you have another meaning for 'family' in mind then let us know. For example the extended family including cousins etc.




Whoops! sorry about that, the second spelling was a typo. I guess it sort of will encompass the extended family as well


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 24 Oct 2012 7:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
RíoghánCAN wrote:
I guess it sort of will encompass the extended family as well
Then 'muintir' may be what you are looking for. It includes the whole gang! :party: Perhaps a little like the English word 'kin'.

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 24 Oct 2012 7:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon 22 Oct 2012 8:58 pm
Posts: 8
Okay great! Now how would you pronounce that? As well as teaghlach? Just for the hell of it


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 24 Oct 2012 7:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
My impression is that only civil servants like using the term teaghlach for "family". It has that clinical administrative feel that government departments are so fond of. :razz:

Muintir has the broadest appeal (amongst all the dialects and also in meaning). It includes all who are near and dear to you.

For a "household", I think Connemara people prefer comhlódar (CO = comhluadar) though some use the loanword feaimilí.

Muintir "family (extended)"
MWEEN-tirh
/mi:N´t´ər´/

Slender t is somewhere between a t and a ch sound, like the t in "ritual".

The slender r, which I have written as "rh" in the phonics, is lightly flapped like Scottish r but so light that it almost buzzes.


Teaghlach "family (nuclear)"
TIE-lukh
/t´aiLəx/

The first syllable is somewhere between TIE and CHAI.

The broad ch /x/ (kh in my phonics) is like the ch in loch /lox/ (lokh), never like a k sound. It may help to think of a very breathy h pronounced deep in the throat. Could also be described as the sound people make when clearing phlegm from the throat.

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 24 Oct 2012 8:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Breandán wrote:
Could also be described as the sound people make when clearing phlegm from the throat.
8O Here we are trying to encourage people to speak the wonderful, musical language that is Irish and you come out with something like that! 8O :LOL:

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 24 Oct 2012 8:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon 22 Oct 2012 8:58 pm
Posts: 8
That's great Breandán, thanks so much, that was very helpful in supporting what Saoirse said and clearing up pronounciation


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 24 Oct 2012 8:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon 22 Oct 2012 8:58 pm
Posts: 8
Saoirse wrote:
Breandán wrote:
Could also be described as the sound people make when clearing phlegm from the throat.
8O Here we are trying to encourage people to speak the wonderful, musical language that is Irish and you come out with something like that! 8O :LOL:



Haha, touché


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 24 Oct 2012 9:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon 22 Oct 2012 8:58 pm
Posts: 8
Would anyone else like to weigh in?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1468 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group