It is currently Sat 15 Aug 2020 2:22 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: deas bualadh libh
PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct 2012 8:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue 09 Oct 2012 2:38 pm
Posts: 33
Location: Belfast, Ireland
Haigh a chairde. I hope my subject line is grammatically correct. I'm learning Irish out of GUILT.
Yes my grandson is attending Gaelscoil and no-one in the family speaks Irish. My mum and dad were fluent but I never heard it used at home. My background is Art and design, and lately multi-media specialising in film and editing.
Hoping to find a few tolerant and PATIENT ears here :rolleyes:
Tchífidh mé sibh!

or should it be

Chífidh mé sibh! ( my night class is teaching us Chífidh ) might as well start being contentious right away ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: deas bualadh libh
PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct 2012 8:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3425
Location: Cill Dara
peterdewolf wrote:
Haigh a chairde. I hope my subject line is grammatically correct. I'm learning Irish out of GUILT.
Yes my grandson is attending Gaelscoil and no-one in the family speaks Irish. My mum and dad were fluent but I never heard it used at home. My background is Art and design, and lately multi-media specialising in film and editing.
Hoping to find a few tolerant and PATIENT ears here :rolleyes:
Tchífidh mé sibh!

or should it be

Chífidh mé sibh! ( my night class is teaching us Chífidh ) might as well start being contentious right away ;)
Fáilte go ILF! You have figured out the smileys so you're o.k. by me! There are more job opportunities in film and editing if you have reasonable Irish. Go n'éirí go geal leis! :wave:

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: deas bualadh libh
PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct 2012 9:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 15 Sep 2011 12:06 pm
Posts: 2396
"Chífidh mé" is a Cork form, I think.
In Ulster we say "tchífidh mé" with a slender t sound. Slender "ch" alone is never pronounced with a slender t sound, so in Ulster there's no valid reason to write "chífidh"... You can see "chífidh" in several books but that's not a good spelling for Ulster Irish.

The Ulster "tchí-" root comes from Old Irish at-chí... so the "t" was already there more than 1200 years ago...

_________________
Is fearr Gaeilg na Gaeltaċta ná Gaeilg ar biṫ eile
Agus is í Gaeilg Ġaoṫ Doḃair is binne
:)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: deas bualadh libh
PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct 2012 9:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue 09 Oct 2012 2:38 pm
Posts: 33
Location: Belfast, Ireland
Lughaidh wrote:
"Chífidh mé" is a Cork form, I think.
In Ulster we say "tchífidh mé" with a slender t sound. Slender "ch" alone is never pronounced with a slender t sound, so in Ulster there's no valid reason to write "chífidh"... You can see "chífidh" in several books but that's not a good spelling for Ulster Irish.

The Ulster "tchí-" root comes from Old Irish at-chí... so the "t" was already there more than 1200 years ago...


Go raibh maith agat and thank you for the roots of the structure, that is a bonus.
Peter


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: deas bualadh libh
PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct 2012 9:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue 09 Oct 2012 2:38 pm
Posts: 33
Location: Belfast, Ireland
"There are more job opportunities in film and editing if you have reasonable Irish."

I am getting a bit ;) But does Final Cut pro and Motion have an Irish GUI ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: deas bualadh libh
PostPosted: Thu 11 Oct 2012 11:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3560
Location: An Astráil
Hi, Peter. Welcome to the forum. :wave:

peterdewolf wrote:
Hoping to find a few tolerant and PATIENT ears here

Most of our members are quite passionate about the language. Their enthusiasm and conviction can be a bit overwhelming at times but you'll never be short of an answer here. :LOL:

_________________

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: deas bualadh libh
PostPosted: Fri 12 Oct 2012 12:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun 11 Sep 2011 5:12 pm
Posts: 279
Location: Hamilton, NJ, USA
peterdewolf wrote:
Haigh a chairde. I hope my subject line is grammatically correct. I'm learning Irish out of GUILT.
Yes my grandson is attending Gaelscoil and no-one in the family speaks Irish. My mum and dad were fluent but I never heard it used at home. My background is Art and design, and lately multi-media specialising in film and editing.
Hoping to find a few tolerant and PATIENT ears here :rolleyes:
Tchífidh mé sibh!

or should it be

Chífidh mé sibh! ( my night class is teaching us Chífidh ) might as well start being contentious right away ;)


Hi Peter, and welcome! :wave:
The people here are extremely patient, and they love answering questions! :yes:

_________________
Táim ag foghlaim Gaelainn na Mumhan

Tá fáilte roim nach aon cheartú!
I am a learner. Any translations offered are practice and should not be used unless confirmed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: deas bualadh libh
PostPosted: Fri 12 Oct 2012 12:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu 15 Sep 2011 12:06 pm
Posts: 2396
Especially when they are about Ulster Irish :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

_________________
Is fearr Gaeilg na Gaeltaċta ná Gaeilg ar biṫ eile
Agus is í Gaeilg Ġaoṫ Doḃair is binne
:)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: deas bualadh libh
PostPosted: Fri 12 Oct 2012 1:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3560
Location: An Astráil
Lughaidh wrote:
"Chífidh mé" is a Cork form, I think.
In Ulster we say "tchífidh mé" with a slender t sound. Slender "ch" alone is never pronounced with a slender t sound, so in Ulster there's no valid reason to write "chífidh"... You can see "chífidh" in several books but that's not a good spelling for Ulster Irish.

The Ulster "tchí-" root comes from Old Irish at-chí... so the "t" was already there more than 1200 years ago...

You could also spell the Ulster form tífidh mé CHEE-fih meh /t´i:f´ə m´e:/ without changing the pronunciation, though it isn't normally done. Historically it is tchífidh mé CHEE-fih meh /t´i:f´ə m´e:/, as Lughaidh said. (An Teanga Bheo: Gaeilge Uladh has tife mé/tífe mé/tiuha mé for the pronunciation.)

I think the dropping of the t is partly from confusion with the Munster form chífidh mé KHEE-fih meh /x´i:f´ə m´e/ and partly because it looks like the English ch.

The form appears to be Cífidh mé KEE-fih meh /k´i:f´ə m´e/ in Corca Dhuibhne, according to an Teanga Bheo.

_________________

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: deas bualadh libh
PostPosted: Fri 12 Oct 2012 3:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu 15 Sep 2011 12:06 pm
Posts: 2396
Quote:
You could also spell the Ulster form tífidh mé CHEE-fih meh /t´i:f´ə m´e:/ without changing the pronunciation, though it isn't normally done. Historically it is tchífidh mé CHEE-fih meh /t´i:f´ə m´e:/, as Lughaidh said. (An Teanga Bheo: Gaeilge Uladh has tife mé/tífe mé/tiuha mé for the pronunciation.)


aye, the -f- pronunciation in this form is exceptional (in all other verbs it's an h sound).
Btw certain people pronounce f as h in tchífidh mé too (heard it in Gaoth Dobhair), so in the speech of these people there's no exception.
It gives /t'ihə m'a/. The í is short in pronunciation, actually.

Quote:
I think the dropping of the t is partly from confusion with the Munster form chífidh mé KHEE-fih meh /x´i:f´ə m´e/ and partly because it looks like the English ch.


and probably because they want both forms to be spelt the same way so there's one variant instead of two. In the university, we were allowed to use "chífidh" but written this way. Which is quite surprising because our teachers knew it didn't correspond to pronunciation nor to the historical form. But I think they thought writing "standard" (for both Munster and Ulster) was more important. I wrote like that in the exams. And since then, you know how I write it... :mrgreen:

_________________
Is fearr Gaeilg na Gaeltaċta ná Gaeilg ar biṫ eile
Agus is í Gaeilg Ġaoṫ Doḃair is binne
:)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 53 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group