It is currently Sun 23 Sep 2018 1:44 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Fri 24 Aug 2012 9:04 pm 

I worked my way through "Teach Yourself Irish" a few months ago, so I wasn't planning on participating in this study group very much – until "Séadna" was mentioned!

I think it would be GREAT if we could read through "Séadna" as a group! The last lesson of "Teach Yourself Irish" (Lesson 27) has a reading of the first chapter of "Séadna" in very clear Munster Irish. Also, the book is in print in both paperback and hardback editions.

Here's a link from Litríocht:
https://www.litriocht.com/shop/advanced ... rds=seadna

There are also CD's of "Séadna" read by Maighréad Uí Lionáird a fluent native speaker from Múscraí.

Here's a link from YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ELYhtbqgWE

There are lots of online translations and other resources for this particular book. I have been wanting to start reading "Séadna" for several months now, but I always thought it was too daunting to try on my own. If this group decides to read "Séadna" I will definitely give it a go :)

PostPosted: Fri 24 Aug 2012 9:21 pm 

That's an excellent idea, WeeFalorieMan - good enough for its own thread in fact, so I've split it off to let those interested specifically in the reading of the advanced material to join here and the beginners/intermediate people can continue with TYI in the old thread (viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1406).

Here's what prompted WeeFalorieMan's post:

An Lon Dubh wrote:
I'm a massive fan of Peadar Ua Laoghaire and have read most of his works, so I'll just say a bit, I hope people find it useful.

Peadar Ua Laoghaire's books go roughly like this in difficulty, in my opinion, easiest first:
Sliabh na mban bhfionn
Mo Scéal Féin
Eisirt
An Craos-Deamhan
Don Cíochóté
Niamh
Cleasaidhe
Séadna
Táin Bó Cuailnge*

Peadar Ua Laoghaire wrote in a very pure form of Cork Irish, with lots of grammatical forms and subtleties that aren't used at all today. There's a lot of phrases and words in his books that had a separate meaning for him, but mean the same thing today. As well as a lot of words that have fallen out of use.
However Séadna and Cleasaidhe take this a step further and he in the first he is attempting to sound like his uncle born in 1780, so the Irish is even more archaic. In Cleasaidhe, I think he's trying to sound like an old Bardic story so he has things from the 16th century.

In general the stories are really fun and have a real medieval flavour to them. My favourite is Séadna, but Niamh probably has the best story. Personally I'd say Mo Scéal Féin or Niamh for an online group, or Séadna if we're feeling brave! :D

(* Táin is more modern than Séadna, but there is a lot of subtle uses of phrases and idioms.)

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Fri 24 Aug 2012 10:01 pm 

I'm up for this. :good:

PostPosted: Fri 24 Aug 2012 10:29 pm 

I've read Séadna before, but I hope I can join in this thread as well! I hope my notes can make it a little
easier for others. There's a lot to learn in Séadna, nouns changing gender in the vocative, special gentive plural
forms, datives for verbal nouns, cúig causing everything mutation possible,.......... :pages:

There can be more in a chapter of Séadna than some books! However I really think it's worth it, so count me in! :D

Ar sgáth a chéile a mhairid na daoine, lag agus láidir, uasal is íseal

PostPosted: Fri 24 Aug 2012 10:34 pm 

You might find something useful here.

http://www.scoilgaeilge.org/lessons/seadna/seadna.htm

By the way, there seem to be a number of versions of this available - abridged and full. Are you going for the full?

PostPosted: Fri 24 Aug 2012 11:21 pm 

Wow, this is great – If we can read and understand everything in "Séadna", we will be virtually fluent in Irish by the end of the book, I think.

I personally would like to read the original unabridged, unstandardized version (with modern spelling, of course). They are readily available from Litríocht and so are the CD's.

Does everyone own a copy of this book?

I've already got the book and CD's and I'm ready to start whenever the rest of the group wants to. :D

PostPosted: Fri 24 Aug 2012 11:47 pm 

Saoirse wrote:
You might find something useful here.
http://www.scoilgaeilge.org/lessons/seadna/seadna.htm

Although that site is very good, there are a few errors where they weren't familiar with Cork Irish forms. Peadar Ua Laoghaire has some unusual forms for nouns in some cases or verbs, which they think of being alternate spellings of Caighdeán words.

For example póirse is corridors, not porch, braimín is a little donkey, not a little farter, d'éaghmais is used to mean "other than" not "for lack of".

It's a great site though.

Quote:
I personally would like to read the original unabridged, unstandardized version (with modern spelling, of course). They are readily available from Litríocht and so are the CD's.

Yeah, Liam Mac Mathúna's (1985 or 2011, the differences are tiny) edition I think would be best. I'll type up a pdf file of a little dictionary and notes on Caibideal a hAon to get started.

Ar sgáth a chéile a mhairid na daoine, lag agus láidir, uasal is íseal

PostPosted: Sat 25 Aug 2012 12:50 am 

:clap: Very excited about this! Nowhere near as advanced as the rest of you, but think of all the wonderful things I will learn! I have the book and CDs, and several brand new notebooks and an empty binder just for this. :D

Tá fáilte roim nach aon cheartú!
I am a learner. Any translations offered are practice and should not be used unless confirmed.

PostPosted: Sat 25 Aug 2012 3:50 am 

There's a sean-chló version of Séadna available in searchable pdf format here:

http://www.corkirish.com/wordpress/arch ... ry/seadna/

And a rough digest of it here:

http://www.awyr.com/ILF/dokyumnts/S%C3%A9adna.pdf

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Sat 25 Aug 2012 2:35 pm 

Breandán, thanks for setting up this study group as it's own thread; and thanks for letting everyone know about the seana-chló versions of Séadna. You're the Ard Rí of moderators :good:

An Lon Dubh, I think it's great that you are in this group and I'm sure that your comments and notes are really gonna help us fledgling Munster speakers.

Aislingeach, I share your enthusiasm – this is going to be fun and we'll learn so much!

Mick, I think it's great that you are up for this! Do you already have a copy of Séadna? As I mentioned earlier, the first chapter of the book is in Lesson 27 of Teach Yourself Irish and even comes with a sound file.

Saoirse, thanks for posting the link! I ran across this one last night:

http://www.ibiblio.org/gaelic/Rhodes/sb.8.html

The vocabulary section is very extensive and I didn't spot too many errors.

When does everyone want to start with Chapter 1?

How much time should we spend on each chapter?

Does anybody want to get together on Skype so that we can practice our pronunciation?

Let's go for it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next