It is currently Thu 20 Jun 2024 11:39 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
PostPosted: Thu 24 Jan 2013 8:59 am 

Dia daoibh ar maidin,
I've been away for a while, but does anyone know what's happened to the Cork Irish wordpress site? I'm very sad and surprised to see that it's gone. It was so useful and comprehensive, that I just can't believe that's disappeared.
Franc

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jan 2013 9:28 am 

Don't worry, it's simply at a new address:
http://corkirish.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jan 2013 9:53 am 

Go hiontach - go raibh maith agat a chara.

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jan 2013 1:58 pm 

franc 91 wrote:
I've been away for a while
Fáilte ar ais, a chara! :wave:

PostPosted: Sat 02 Feb 2013 6:03 pm 

I split the last few posts off into its own thread so if you thought you had posted here and now it has disappeared, you are not losing your mind! :panic: The discussion has moved to viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1907&p=16821#p16821

PostPosted: Sun 10 Feb 2013 4:26 pm 

Hello. I am new to this group but I have a quick question. In the second lesson with the exercises, some answers in book for the tú forms are given with the analytical forms over the inflected forms. Is this just user preference? Are the analytical forms becoming more commonplace in spoken language? I also noticed the same with siad forms (cuirid vs cuireann siad).

PostPosted: Sun 10 Feb 2013 5:52 pm 

Quote:
In the second lesson with the exercises, some answers in book for the tú forms are given with the analytical forms over the inflected forms. Is this just user preference? Are the analytical forms becoming more commonplace in spoken language? I also noticed the same with siad forms (cuirid vs cuireann siad).

Yes, although it's mainly with those two forms in the present and future tense. However, there are many people who have switched to saying cuireann tú/cuireann siad in the present tense, but still say cuirfir/cuirfid in the future. The present -ir ending is most common in ná fuilir in speech nowadays, in my experience.

Of the two forms, far more people say cuirid or cuirid siad, than would say cuirir.

To summarise, it is common for the analytic forms to be used in the future tense and the present tense in the 2nd person singular and the third person plural. The present especially and the 2nd person especially.

The past and other tenses are still synthetic in all persons for almost all speakers.

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jun 2024 6:22 pm 

An Lon Dubh wrote:
Here's my attempt, I hope it's not too bad, after the wonderful reading by Bríd. :oops:

https://www.box.com/s/530f0b9a5af631675e1f

An Lon Dubh can you give access to this again? I was just about to listen to your Irish there....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12