Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jun 2012 5:18 pm 

I have a oui question, how do you say tablefootball in Irish,

peil bhoird? aon duine?? (anyone?)

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jun 2012 6:23 pm 

I'd say peil bhoird is correct.

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jun 2012 6:56 pm 

My understanding is that when not otherwise specified peil refers to Gaelic football.

Outside the UK, the game made by BabyFoot would also be called "table soccer" in all brands of English:

sacar boird

Incidentally, the meaning of the word "football" is different from state to state in Australia and can refer to rugby league, rugby union, or "Aussie rules" (Gaelic football in disguise :winkgrin: ), but never to soccer (except by soccer enthusiasts), even though all the others are pretty much variations of handball. :LOL: :hide:

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jun 2012 11:19 pm 

My understanding is that when not otherwise specified peil is assumed to refer to Gaelic football - in the same way that English people will assume that football refers to soccer. Putting the word bord with peil changes things in my opinion. In other words, I don't think the default translation of peil is necessarily Gaelic Football; it's just how we translate it usually, since we are in Ireland and pretty much exclusive users of the language (outside of ILF etc!)

www.focal.ie gives príomhroinn peile for premiership and mentions peil under the heading Spóirt › Sacar › Áiseanna & Trealamh · Sports › Soccer › Facilities & Equipment

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jun 2012 11:55 pm 

Scooby wrote:
http://www.focal.ie gives príomhroinn peile for premiership and mentions peil under the heading Spóirt › Sacar › Áiseanna & Trealamh · Sports › Soccer › Facilities & Equipment

Yes, I saw all the new terms using peil to mean "soccer". :ninja: I think it is an insidious campaign by the Irish Soccer Association "Football Association of Ireland" to insinuate their usage of "football" into the Irish language. :twisted:

Notice that the categorisation for the entries correctly says "Spóirt > Sacar", rather than"Spóirt > Peil". ;)

Notice also that FIFA is an Comhaontas Idirnáisiúnta Sacair

The "Irish Football Association" is Cumann Sacair na hÉireann, but "Football Association of Ireland" is erroneously translated as Cumann Peile na hÉireann (can't they even agree among themselves? :LOL: )

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun 2012 2:37 pm 

Breandán wrote:

Outside the UK, the game made by BabyFoot would also be called "table soccer" in all brands of English:

sacar boird

Not all, I'm afraid. Here the game is usually referred to as "foosball," or sometimes "table football," and the games often have images on them associated with American football (Which I've always found a bit funny, as the game much more closely resembles soccer. But then soccer hasn't been overwhelmingly popular here until fairly recently.)

Redwolf

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun 2012 5:32 pm 

Foosball is what we call it, too. I think, where I live, though, we'd prefer to call it table soccer over table football. I don't thik either would be too far out of the norm, though, to be honest.

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jun 2012 6:47 pm 

You could leave it as the original German term: Fußball (Fussball)

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun 2012 1:51 am 

Scooby wrote:
You could leave it as the original German term: Fußball (Fussball)

Ah...so that's where "foosball" comes from! I've always wondered!

Redwolf

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jun 2012 7:56 pm 

Table tennis is leadóg bhoird (b'fhéidir peile linbh if it's baby foot - as we call it here)