All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Scripture of the day
PostPosted: Sun 12 May 2024 8:47 pm 

msv133 wrote:
How do I pronounce eól?? It's not on https://www.teanglann.ie/en/fuaim/e%C3%B3l

Google translate's it to "drink".

In my limited experience with irish, vowel's with the accent thing above it usually dominate it, so I would pronounce this as "Oh-l"

It's pronounced with a long o as you said, very similar to the English word "all".

ól means "to drink"
eól means "knowledge". Is eól dom é = I know it (literally "it is knowledge to me" or "knowledge of it is known to me", or something - difficult to get the idiom to translate verbatim here).
They are pronounced the same.
[eól is often written eól in dialectal literature, but is spelt eol in Standardised Irish - this is because "eo" is nearly always a long vowel anyway]

PostPosted: Tue 14 May 2024 10:31 pm 

Isaiah 1:3 The ox knoweth his owner, and the ass his master's crib: but Israel hath not known me, and my people hath not understood.

Aithníonn an damh an té gur leis é, agus aithníonn an t-asal mainséar a mháistir, ach níl aithne ag Israél orm-sa, agus níl tuiscint ageam pobal.

PostPosted: Thu 16 May 2024 10:49 pm 

"Scripture of the day" means you have to do it every day!! Haha sorry but this is my favorite thread on this website....

How bout Isaiah 52:12? or 54:16-17

The first time Abraham get's blessed is pretty fire....! Genesis 12:2-3 (I especially like verse 3)

Immanuel!!

PostPosted: Thu 16 May 2024 11:29 pm 

Isaiah 52:12
Óir ní raghaidh sibh amach i gcallóid, ná ní dhéanfaidh sibh dithneas le teitheadh: óir raghaidh an Tiarna rómhaibh amach, agus cruinneóidh Dia Israél i dteannta ’ chéile sibh.
For you shall not go out in a tumult, neither shall you make haste by flight: For the Lord will go before you, and the God of Israel will gather you together.

Zechariah 2:8
Óir seo mar adeir Tiarna na sló: Tar éis na glóire, do chuir sé me chun na náisiún atá tar éis sibhse do chreachadh, óir an té do theangmhaíonn libhse, teangmhaíonn sé le mogall mo shúl-sa.
For thus saith the Lord of hosts: After the glory he hath sent me to the nations that have robbed you: for he that toucheth you, toucheth the apple of my eye.
[The Christian understanding, eg. in Matthew Henry's commentaries, is that the apple of my eye refers to God's love for his church - see Romans 9 on this point - the CIA-linked Evangelicals in the US claim the State of Israel is the apple of God's eye, but Romans 9:6 says otherwise.]

PostPosted: Fri 17 May 2024 2:21 pm 

Amen amen!!! God's Church is anybody who calls out to Jesus in their hearts! Welcome to the new covenant! The veil has been torn!

Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God!!

Wouldn't mind a translation of Matthew 5:1-12

But then again I'll try not to get greedy... everything you translate is gold to me! keep it up!

PostPosted: Fri 17 May 2024 2:41 pm 

Agus nuair a chonaic sé na sluaite, chuaigh sé suas ar an gcnuc, agus nuair a shuigh sé ann tháinig a dheisceabail ag triall air.
Agus d'oscail sé a bhéal agus do theagaisc sé iad, agus duairt sé:
Is aoibhinn do sna bochtaibh sa sprid, mar is leó san ríocht na bhflaitheas.
Is aoibhinn do lucht ceannsachta, mar is iad a gheóbhaidh seilbh na talún.
Is aoibhinn do lucht dobróin, mar is iad a gheóbhaidh sólás.
Is aoibhinn don mhuíntir go bhfuil ocras agus tart chun fíoraontachta orthu, mar 's iad a gheóbhaidh a sáith.
Is aoibhinn do lucht na trócaire ' dhéanamh, mar is iad a gheóbhaidh trócaire.
Is aoibhinn do lucht an chroí ghlain, mar is iad a gheóbhaidh radharc ar Dhia.
Is aoibhinn do lucht na síochána ' dhéanamh, mar is orthu ' tabharfar clann Dé
Is aoibhinn don mhuíntir a dh'fhuiligeann crá ar son fíoraontachta, mar is leó san ríocht na bhflaitheas.
Is aoibhinn díbh-se nuair a déanfar spídiú oraibh agus ciapadh, agus an uile shaghas tromaíochta éithigh mar gheall orm-sa;
Bíodh móráil agus gáirdeachas oraibh, mar is mór é úr luacht saothair in sna flaithis; óir sin mar a ciapadh na fáidhe rómhaibh.

PostPosted: Fri 17 May 2024 3:28 pm 

Quote:
cruinneóidh

cruinnigh- to assemble. The pronunciation is available unline. With the alternate suffix above, my guess would be to pronouce cruinneóidh\Krin-Oh-d\ or \Krin-Oh-y\. My logic is that the ó dominates the eói and dh will either make a d or y sound.

rómhaibh- Grammatical form of "before" I think. I'd pronounce this \R-oh-v-ah-v\. Where my logic was:
r makes r sound
ó makes Oh sound
mh makes v sound
aibh makes ah-v sound

dhéanfaidh- Future tense of déan, which means "Do, of action implied in object). This makes sense, as fáidh is Irish for "prophet, seer". I'd pronounce this \J-ey-n-fay\

Chroiceann (Skin) I'd pronounce \Kree-Cahn\. THis word doesn't show up on https://www.teanglann.ie/, but craiceann does show up, meaning skin

Chífead, from the context this must mean something to "to see" I'd pronounce this \Kee-Fahd\

Feóla i'd pronounce this \Fe-Oh-la\

Asked more questions then I meant to... Thanks either way! Shalom!

cruinneóidh: will gather, collect - pronounced kringYOhg, with a slight y-sound after the final g. The -idh is a palatalised g.
rómhaibh: before you (plural): pronunced rOHv, with a slight y sound after the final v. The -mh- is not pronounced at all.
dhéanfaidh: will do. Pronounce yeeanhig, with a slight y sound after the final g. This word has nothing to with fáidh.
chroiceann: the lenited form of croiceann, skin. Pronounced krokyen or krekyen. and when lenited khrokyen, khrekyen where kh is like the ch in German bach, or the ch in the Scottish loch or the j in Spanish.
chífead: I will see: hyeehad. The slender ch is like the hy sound in the English pronunciation at the start of "huge".
feóla: fyOhla.

PostPosted: Sun 19 May 2024 2:35 pm 

djwebb2021 wrote:
Agus nuair a chonaic sé na sluaite, chuaigh sé suas ar an gcnuc, agus nuair a shuigh sé ann tháinig a dheisceabail ag triall air.
Agus d'oscail sé a bhéal agus do theagaisc sé iad, agus duairt sé:
Is aoibhinn do sna bochtaibh sa sprid, mar is leó san ríocht na bhflaitheas.
Is aoibhinn do lucht ceannsachta, mar is iad a gheóbhaidh seilbh na talún.
Is aoibhinn do lucht dobróin, mar is iad a gheóbhaidh sólás.
Is aoibhinn don mhuíntir go bhfuil ocras agus tart chun fíoraontachta orthu, mar 's iad a gheóbhaidh a sáith.
Is aoibhinn do lucht na trócaire ' dhéanamh, mar is iad a gheóbhaidh trócaire.
Is aoibhinn do lucht an chroí ghlain, mar is iad a gheóbhaidh radharc ar Dhia.
Is aoibhinn do lucht na síochána ' dhéanamh, mar is orthu ' tabharfar clann Dé
Is aoibhinn don mhuíntir a dh'fhuiligeann crá ar son fíoraontachta, mar is leó san ríocht na bhflaitheas.
Is aoibhinn díbh-se nuair a déanfar spídiú oraibh agus ciapadh, agus an uile shaghas tromaíochta éithigh mar gheall orm-sa;
Bíodh móráil agus gáirdeachas oraibh, mar is mór é úr luacht saothair in sna flaithis; óir sin mar a ciapadh na fáidhe rómhaibh.

Interesting... aoibhinn seems to be very connected to the word "Delightful"

The Duoay Rheims has "Blessed are" here. What version are you translating from?

Thanks again! You are the bomb diggity