It is currently Tue 28 Jun 2022 3:16 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun 2022 8:04 pm 

If you are a learner and use Twitter, there is a very active and helpful Irish-language community there. You can find the top 500 accounts listed here - listed by quantity of tweets as Gaeilge. Because of the facility to press 'translate tweet', that can help also if you are unsure what something means. Obviously, like Google Translate, the translation may not be perfect, but should certainly give you the gist of what is being said.

You will establish fairly quickly who has good quality Irish and who hasn't. Meanwhile, a positive and varied environment while learning Irish helps to stay motivated.

http://indigenoustweets.com/ga/

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun 2022 8:55 pm 

Saoirse wrote:
If you are a learner and use Twitter, there is a very active and helpful Irish-language community there. You can find the top 500 accounts listed here - listed by quantity of tweets as Gaeilge. Because of the facility to press 'translate tweet', that can help also if you are unsure what something means. Obviously, like Google Translate, the translation may not be perfect, but should certainly give you the gist of what is being said.

You will establish fairly quickly who has good quality Irish and who hasn't. Meanwhile, a positive and varied environment while learning Irish helps to stay motivated.

So Aonghus, who was on Daltai once, is the top Irish Tweeter?

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun 2022 9:16 pm 

djwebb2021 wrote:
So Aonghus, who was on Daltai once, is the top Irish Tweeter?

Yes, Aonghus has sent more tweets in Irish than anyone else according to this list, which I think is pretty trustworthy. Kevin Scannell seems to be very reliable in terms of his ability to extract information/statistics from tech sources.

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jun 2022 8:45 pm 

Note this list says nothing about the quality of the Irish in the tweets. I've found it varies.

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jun 2022 9:05 pm 

galaxyrocker wrote:
Note this list says nothing about the quality of the Irish in the tweets. I've found it varies.

Most of these are the Standardised Irish crowd, it must be said. How many native speakers Tweet in their native dialects? There must be some of course.

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jun 2022 10:54 pm 

DDeibhinn would have very high quality Munster Irish.

Ar sgáth a chéile a mhairid na daoine, lag agus láidir, uasal is íseal

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jun 2022 10:43 am 

Saoirse wrote:

I have long noticed that a positive and varied environment creates a fertile field for any development. This seems to be confirmed in the case of Irish.

The idea of such a competition about the number of posts in Irish seems fun :)

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jun 2022 12:49 pm 

An Lon Dubh wrote:
DDeibhinn would have very high quality Munster Irish.

A scan of his Twitter feed shows a lot of far left Tweets. He seems to be obsessed at the moment with Britain's decision to send 7 illegal immigrants to Rwanda (while giving long-term settlement visas to 850,000 in 2021 and granting an additional 60,000 asylum--both ludicrous policies). Why doesn't he Tweet about Ireland?

Here's a great video by An Páirtí Náisiúnta - if I were in Ireland, I would definitely support these guys, in the interests of all European nations working together to survive?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MZtJy6NSak

I'm not sure about that party's slogan "Ar dheis ar aghaidh". Maybe I'm not interpreting it right. It seems to be saying "Forward with the political right", but it seems a bad translation.

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun 2022 10:19 am 

I think it is great to see tweets, and general discourse in Irish, about all kinds of issues. Like other languages, Irish is a way to communicate about anything and everything. Irish people are often interested in political and social issues around the world so it is natural and healthy to find such discussions in Irish. I, for one, would not like Irish-language conversations limited to Irish and Ireland.